Public Domain: What's It All About?
What is Public Domain?
'Works that are freely available for commercial or public use without restriction - not protected by copyright restrictions.'
'The public domain consists of all works that never had copyright protection and works that no longer have copyright protection. The public domain also includes most works created by the United States government. All works in the public domain are free for the public to use. Works published in the United States prior to 1923 are in the public domain.'
Public domain images are free for you to use, modify and even sell without giving credit.
How is Public Domain Determined?
As a general rule, most works enter the public domain because of old age. This includes any work published in the United States before 1923.
Another large block of works are in the public domain because they were published before 1964 and copyright was not renewed. (Renewal was a requirement for works published before 1978.)
A smaller group of works fell into the public domain because they were published without copyright notice (copyright notice was necessary for works published in the United States before March 1, 1989.)
Some works are in the public domain because the owner has indicated a desire to give them to the public without copyright protection.
(from Stanford University Library)
Public Domain Resources
Use the Digital Copyright Slider to determine is a work is still protected by copyright.
Sources for Public Domain Works - This is an excellent guide from the University of Montana showing where to find Public Domain written works, music, visual art and images, maps, movies and multimedia.
Welcome to Biteslide!
Biteslide is the website you will use to create your digital scrapbook. Here are the steps to get started:
Go to this link: Yay! Digital Scrapbooking!
All you will need is this class code: JJFDNW95
Complete the requested information and you are ready to begin creating your scrapbook. You can use your login to work on this project at your convenience and wherever you are!
Creative Commons Images
Image from Nrico's Flickr photostream (licensed content for commercial use, adaptation, modification or building upon)
Public Domain Images
Pulic Domain images are able to be freely used by anyone without first gaining permission.
Public Domain images can be found at:
- Public Domain Clipart - more photos than clipart
- Wikimedia: Public Domain images
- Public Domain Images and Photos - Thousands of high quality, copyright friendly digital images, free for any personal and/or commercial use.
- PD Photo.org - Thousands of royalty free, public domain images, although a lot of them are American
- PD Photo
- Public Domain Photos and Wallpaper
- Public Domain Pictures - high resolution photos and illustrations under public domain license
- Public Domain Images Public domain images (copyright friendly -safe images), royalty free stock photos. All photos on this site are top quality high resolution public domain images, explicitly placed in the public domain.